Monday 28 April 2014

What do you use your brayer for??

Materials used:-
Creative Palette from Stampendous
Stampendous NKCRS02 Wired
Stampendous M178 Poppy Stems
Brilliance Graphite Black
Versafine Vintage Sepia
Basil 12 x 12 paper
White scrapbook paper
Pewter brads
Burlap ribbon
All available from:-
Your local Exmouth stockist is:-
How many of us have a brayer tucked away in our crafty drawers which rarely sees the light of day? I know mine didn't until my recent love affair with the Creative Palette by Stampendous. In case you're not familiar with the CP it's great for mono printing.
 
My scrapbook layout this week is my small commemoration to the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War 1. The photos which you see here are of my great uncles (my grandmother's brothers) both of whom sadly did not return. I inherited a big tin of really old & fascinating photos when my father died so it was lovely to be able to use them at last.
 
Anyway I digress! I have printed the background to the photos using the Creative Palette & acrylic paints. When absolutely dry I have over printed  using the "Wired" stamp set which has great textures for this kind of design. The poppy stamp has been used on the piece by Rupert Brooke & it's quite an old Stampendous wooden mounted stamp but is still available in a cling version. As you can see I have torn all the edges & sponged with Graphite black & Vintage sepia before attaching to the green Basil card. The embellishments come from Woodware's pewter brads & the new Burlap ribbon.
 
Here's a step by step guide to how I achieved the background prior to over stamping 

I always place the Palette onto newspaper- I'm so messy!! 

Next add small amounts of acrylic paint
& spread over the entire Creative Palette
with the brayer.

Press some large bubble wrap onto the paint
to remove some of it
 

This is how it will look when you remove the
wrap- work quickly acrylics dry soon! 

Press your card firmly over the paint

Peel the card away to reveal the print

You can add more layers & textures until you are
happy with the result
 

The finished print before over printing, sponging
edges & tearing. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, love the background. Did you use any sort of extender with your acrylic paint. I have been very less than successful with acrylics on mine so just wanted to pick your brains as this is fabulous.
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim sorry I've taken so long to reply. No I didn't use anything but acrylic paint. I think it's just getting the right amount of paint on palette or building up layers. I've had some very happy "accidents" ! Have also used Colorbox re inkers which work well too. Hope that helps x

    ReplyDelete